Monday, February 6, 2017

Beth Barany on Self–pubbed and Other Writing Formats


This week we’re going to find out a little about author Beth Barany. February’s theme is ‘Self–pubbed, traditional, and other writing formats’ so Beth will be talking about her experiences with these formats. She’ll also tell us a little about herself and her writing, and answer some fun questions.
Award winning author, Beth Barany writes in several genres including young adult adventure fantasy and fantasy romance. Inspired by living abroad in France and Quebec, she loves creating magical tales of romance and adventure to empower women and girls to jump into life with both feet and be the heroes in their own lives.

In her off hours, Beth enjoys walking her neighborhood, gardening on her patio, and watching movies and traveling with her husband, author Ezra Barany. They live in Oakland, California with their cat named Leo, a piano, and over 1,000 books.

When not writing or playing, Beth runs her own company helping novelists as a book midwife, coach, and teacher to help them write, market, and publish their books.
Thank you, Beverley, for this opportunity to post on your blog! What fun!

Beverley: Are you self–pubbed, traditional or both?
Beth: Self-pubbed with two unusual traditional contracts, one with an app publisher, Tapas Media, and another with an international subscription service distributor, Palatium.
Beverley: What made you chose that path?  And tell us how it worked for you.
Beth: I realized that I could pitch my novel for another few years and possibly get nowhere, or start self-publishing and get into the game. As a self-pubbed author, I can seek out interesting opportunities on my own, and I have, and continue to do so.
I’ve self-published my fiction since 2011 and it’s been a great growth experience in learning to produce and market my fiction. I love to learning by doing.
I don’t think I’m the smartest cookie in the jar. I haven’t had some of the success other self-pubbed authors have had, but my books are well-reviewed and I do sell.
Beverley: Have you written in any other writing formats? (non-fiction, journalism, flash fiction, poetry). If yes, can you share why you tried them and how it worked for you?                                                                               And how has it affected how you write today?
Beth: I’ve written lots of non-fiction articles and published non-fiction three books – motivational and how-to books for writers. I started in journalism 20+ years ago, before I knew how to write fiction. I’ve also been writing blog posts for the about 10 years.
Learning how to write nonfiction had taught me how to get over writer’s block, generate lots of ideas, and gain practice with editing and revising.
Beverley: Is there anything else you’d like to share about differences in self-publishing and traditional publishing for today’s writer?
Beth: Most writers know the differences. So, I’d like to warn new authors that if a company calls themselves a publisher, yet asks you to pay them, run fast in the other direction. If you’re paying for a service to help publish your book, you’re in charge. Get what you want and don’t let your service provider decide for you. Self-publishing means you are the publisher. Anyone calling themselves a publisher should pay you not the other way around.
Beverley: How long have you been writing?
Beth: I’ve been writing nonfiction for 26 years and writing fiction seriously for 16 years.
Beverley: What genre do you write in and why?
Beth: I write in several genres: Young Adult Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, and Science Fiction Romance.
I love YA Fantasy for the high adventure and epic sweep. I love writing romance with magical and science fiction elements because I love creating stories about strong women who jump into life with both feet and find love along the way.
Beverley: Who influenced you the most in deciding to become a writer?
Beth: I was deeply influenced by Helen Keller, who died the year I was born. I was impressed with her ability to communicate and speak her heart. I always wanted to be a writer and her persistence and stamina inspired me to get going.
Beverley: What obstacles did you have to overcome to begin creating your work?
Beth: I had to learn how to write fiction! A tall order! One of the things I realized is that I just needed to start, and also that I needed a roadmap. To design that roadmap, I had to overcome my fear of the unknown and the fear of the voices of my characters overtaking me somehow. Lastly, I had to overcome being indecisive and learn to take action despite the fear.
Beverley: What gets your creative juices flowing?
Beth: Music is probably the primary way I step into my creativity on a regular basis. I’m also inspired by film and TV, reading, and traveling to new places near and far.
Beverley: What will stop your creative muse the quickest?
Beth: Getting critiques too early in the writing process.
Beverley: What do you have for breakfast?
Beth: Eggs and kale, and coffee. Or a hard-boiled egg and coffee.
Beverley: What do you wear when you are writing?
Beth: Jeans, t-shirt, long running shirt, and a grey hoodie.
Beverley: Where do you do most of your writing?
Beth: Local cafes and diners.
Beverley: Do you have a favorite cartoon character? Why?
Beth: Perhaps Garfield. I love his indulgence and love of a good meal.
Beverley: Who would you love most to meet 'in person' and why?
Beth: I’d love to have a conversation with President Barack Obama. I’d love to hear his take on the state of the world and where he thinks things are evolving for humanity.
Beverley: If you had an unexpected free day what would you do with it?
Beth: Probably write! LOL Or I’d love to take a tour of the Tesla factory or go to NASA Ames.
Beverley: What are you working on now?
Beth: I’m working on writing the third book in my space station mystery romance series, a series I plan to launch later this year, and editing the sixth paranormal romance in my Touchstone series, to be published soon.

Blurb for A LABYRINTH OF LOVE AND ROSES

What if what you wanted got in the way of your destiny?

French MBA grad Lili Grenault needs to succeed at her last pitch meeting to fund her international green tech business. But her grandmother tells her to drop everything, find her one true love, and embrace her magical legacy by Beltane, in one week, or chaos and failure in her life will ensue.

San Francisco investor Brett Barnaby wants to find his great-grandfather’s gravesite in Amiens, France, one of the primary battle sites of World War I. Family legend says that purpose, greater mission, and perhaps even untold riches, will be unlocked when he finds that grave. But his search in Amiens brings up fear, anger, and dire warnings about some wild Green Man. He turns to local Lily Grenault for help.

Can these two independent freethinkers work together to prevent chaos from triumphing and find love in time in the labyrinth of roses?

Buy Links:
Amazon: http://bit.ly/lablovrose
Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-labyrinth-of-love-and-roses-beth-barany/1123747020?ean=2940158211188
iBooks: http://apple.co/1QIEFBC
Kobo: http://bit.ly/1YYYkDB
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/603020

You can find Beth at:
http://author.bethbarany.com/.
Or connect with her on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/bethbarany, Twitter http://www.twitter.com/beth_barany, and
Instagram http://instagram.com/bethbarany.

Don’t forget to check back Thursday for another author interview.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful interview. Your story sounds interesting too. I agree with the advice about someone asking you to pay as a publisher. But I see so many people who do that thinking it's their only way.

    ReplyDelete