Monday, September 25, 2017

The Invictus Games


I was going to write about something to benefit writers, but I watched the Invictus Games opening ceremony and I was so moved I decided to write about it. It’s the third annual Invictus Games.
The Invictus Games is an international Paralympic-style, multi-sport event, created by Prince Harry of Wales, in which wounded, injured or sick armed services personnel and their associated veterans take part in sports including wheelchair basketball, sitting volleyball and indoor rowing. Named after Invictus, Latin for "unconquered" or "undefeated", the event was inspired by the Warrior Games, a similar event held in the United States. The first Invictus Games took place in March 2014 in London, United Kingdom.

The second Invictus Games was held near Orlando, Florida in 2016.
This third Invictus Games is being held in Toronto, Canada and being Canadian I had to watch. I was impressed. Prince Harry was there and our Prime Minister. Various individuals shared their story but Captain (retired) Trevor Greene brought me to tears.  He served in Afghanistan and met with several Afghanistan leaders.  In a symbol of respect he removed his vest and helmet. Isis attacked him from behind with an axe to his head. He was returned to Canada and his family was told he wouldn’t survive and if he did he would be a vegetable. He not only survived, he wheeled out onto the stage and gave a great speech.  His courage brought me to tears.

If you get a chance to watch any of the Invictus Games, I’d recommend it. Their courage and strength is amazing.
 

3 comments: