Monday, April 23, 2018

My Last Week and an Excerpt

I decided today I’d post about my last week, and an excerpt from a WIP.
Last week EPIC, The Electronic Publishing Industry Coalition, voted to close after about twenty years.
Membership had dwindled and the board felt that EPIC was no longer relevant, which is sad. Today, with all the computer and electronic changes, you need to stay current with what electronically pubbed authors and companies need.

Also, it’s been almost a year since I had my “new” website designed. It was designed by a company and never felt comfortable. Changes were hard to make and I never felt it was user friendly. I’ve decided to have a new website designed. One I’m more comfortable with and hopefully some I can connect with. And right after I decided that they sent me a 23 page document of their new policies.
So if anyone had suggestions for a web designer I’d love to hear them.

 
And I’m back working on a new book, sort of. I started it awhile ago but I’m editing and rewriting part of it. It’s Sara’s Story from The Foundation series.
Here are the first few lines from the Prologue.
         18 months earlier
            Was he alive? The office had only said he’d had a heart attack. Her breaths came in short, shallow bursts at the thought. 
            The taxi jerked to a stop in front of the hospital emergency entrance.
            Sara fumbled through her purse, counting out a meager number of dollar bills. Gordon didn’t allow her to have a credit card and he only allowed her to have a small amount of cash.
            She didn’t have enough money to pay the taxi.
             “I’m so sorry. I left home without any cash. I...I ... Would you take a check?” Tears spilled over and trickled down her flushed cheeks.
            The driver spun around, threw his arm over the seat, a short stubby finger on his other hand waved at the sign over the rearview mirror. “Look lady, it says right there - No Checks.”
            “I know, I know. I’m sorry. My husband’s had a heart attack and I ... I don’t know what to do.” Sara ran her fingers over her hair, scrunching the tight bun at her neck.
            The driver shook his head. “Aw shit. Go ahead, lady. Write the check.”
            Sara pulled the crumpled check Gordon let her carry for emergencies out of her purse. As she touched the check a vision of Gordon floated in front of her.
            She stopped, trying to erase the image. She only saw the ghosts of dead people.
            Could he really be dead?
             “Gordon?” she whispered.
             “Lady, are you writing a check or not?”
             “Yes, sorry.” Sara proceeded to scribble her signature on the bottom of the check. “Please, fill it in, and give yourself a generous tip. Thank you.” She clutched her worn, cracked purse to her chest, slid out of the cab and scurried through the emergency room doors.
            What if he was dead? She didn’t have any money. Gordon did all the finances and never shared anything with her. How would she manage? She’d managed twenty years ago. Could she do it again? But he couldn’t be dead. Gordon would never allow that to happen.
            His face flitted in front of her again, fixed in an angry glare.
            He had to be dead or she wouldn’t be seeing him, but he was angry. He didn’t want to be dead.
            Shuffling toward the reception desk, she kept glancing over her shoulder, searching for some sign of Gordon, listening for his voice, waiting for him to yell at her. She couldn’t believe he was really dead, even though she could see him. Clinging to the edge of the transition counter, she kept her head down, chewing on her lower lip, waiting to be noticed.

Any comments on the first few lines? Or on a web designer? I'd love to hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Bev! I still use blogger, but took a class on wordpress and really like it. The templates were very easy. I like being in control and the ability to change up frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vicki. You're so smart. I'd love to be in control and change when I want but I'm so not techie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is the section of the writing interviews and the other pages for the real work. You can go with the link of www.colonchecker.com/why-to-use-colon-corrector and can enjoy the new dealings of the fun here. Cover your work with this field and find the real fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can enjoy the area of the last week with this event of expert. Just enjoy your time with the best blogging and get the special deals. You can also get the link of www.copyrightchecker.net/do-you-need-to-use-a-copyright-detector with this area and can find the true pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the updates are present about the last week interview and the group blog with the help of which you can find the better stuff of the fun. Get the benefit from this service and enjoy the new idea of the blogging with this place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The person on the blog decided that he will post about my last week, and an extract from a WIP. The Electronic Publishing Industry Coalition, voted to close by after twenty years. Check over here and find more useful stuff. Membership had decreased and the board felt that EPIC was no longer applicable, which sounds sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See the experience of the last week and enjoy the session of the Bateman in this link. You can find the stuff from this site and can get the deal of the help which can really make your life more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete